Family and individual insurance claims FAQs.
- What should I do if I am involved in an automobile accident?
Immediately following an automobile accident, do the following:
- Check yourself, your passengers and the other driver(s) and their passengers for injuries.
- If needed, call 911 for ambulance and police assistance.
- Exchange information with the other driver(s).
- Never admit fault or make promises to the other driver(s).
- Take photos of the vehicles involved and of the scene if it is safe to do so.
- Report the accident to police.
- Report the accident to Strate Insurance Group or to your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Do I need to obtain a copy of the police report if I am in an auto accident?
No, it is not necessary for you to obtain a copy of the police report. If a copy is needed, Strate Insurance Group or your insurance company will obtain it.
We will also complete your Department of Safety Proof of Insurance form (SR-21).
- What should I do if I have a property loss?
- Call the police or fire department if necessary.
- Take photos of the damage before making any temporary or permanent repairs.
- Make temporary repairs to prevent further damage from occurring.
- Be sure to retain receipts for any temporary repairs or expenses.
- Secure all damaged property and retain it for later inspection by an insurance adjuster.
- How many repair estimates should I get?
Most insurance companies will send an adjuster or appraiser to inspect your damaged property. If the damage is minimal you may get one estimate. Most companies have preferred body shops and contractors.
We have payment authority for small claims. Contact us to see if your claim qualifies for this type of reimbursement.
- What other tips should I remember about filing a car or homeowners insurance claim?
Before reporting any loss to your insurance company and filing a claim, determine if the cost of repairs will significantly exceed your deductible. If not, consider paying out-of-pocket rather than filing the claim. This may save you from increased premiums down the road. Contact us for more information about the appropriate time to file an insurance claim.
Visit these helpful links for home and auto safety and repair:
- Home and auto preparedness and safety articles and videos from the Insurance Information Institute: http://www.iii.org/insurance-topics/preparedness-and-safety
- Search the Real Yellow Pages for contractors and auto repair shops: http://www.realpageslive.com
- Know Your Stuff® Home Inventory guide from the Insurance Information Institute: http://knowyourstuff.org
Reduce Your Exposure to Home Burglaries(.pdf) (Copyright 2010 International Risk Management Institute, Inc., http://www.irmi.com/)